Monday, May 3, 2010

In Loving Memory

I received devastating news that my close friend, Hawley, passed away this weekend. She was a dear friend from middle school and high school. She had been battling breast cancer for two years. After being diagnosed when she was 13 weeks pregnant with her second baby, she underwent chemotherapy while she was pregnant with her healthy son, Bryce. After delivery she had a bilateral mastectomy as well as more chemotherapy and radiation. She was doing great last summer. We had a girls' reunion at Lake Chelan in August and had a blast reminiscing about old times and catching up after many years. I shared the news about my pregnancy that weekend, I was 16 weeks pregnant! My other friend, Marcu, was 34 weeks along!

Earlier this year the cancer returned and spread to her lungs, lymph nodes, and liver. After battling hard this year she died early Sunday morning in the arms of her husband. She left behind an incredible husband and two beautiful children (Bryce is one, Lydia is almost three). Throughout the two year battle she remained strong in her faith and learned to cherish each day with her family, such a great reminder for all of us. As I look at Porter, it reminds me to be thankful each day for our health and happiness. Porter and I are heading to Wenatchee this weekend for her memorial service. It will be a good weekend to celebrate what an incredibly beautiful, strong and courageous woman she was. Her memory will certainly live on with us forever. We love you and will miss you Hawls!

No comments: